Monday, April 20, 2009

Atlantic City Press Release: Social Networking, Job Networking, and Yours Truly

I received an email last week from a friend at Career Services of my school saying that the Press of Atlantic City wanted to interview me about using social networking as a graduating student entering the job market. I gladly accepted and gave reporter Courtney McCann a call. We chatted about the do's and dont's of using social media to appeal to employers, its networking benefits, and how I as a creative writer and social media enthusiast fit into the marketing and business plans of companies.

But I don't want to spoil the article, so just check it out right here-

AC Press: Social networking is job networking, experts say

I just want to correct a small error in the article when it mentions me heading the social media marketing campaign for a "pet store" in Missouri. This is referring to my work at FURminator Inc, a company that is a little bigger than a pet store ;)

At any rate, what do you think of the article, and the idea that social networking is job networking? I use social networking/media sites to build my online presence and portfolio, aside from the fact that it's related to what I want to do. Do you think graduating job seekers can afford to not acknowledge their online presence? (aka employers looking at their Facebook and other profiles)

1 comment: